Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Well I'm standing next to a mountain, I chop it down with the edge of my hand

It appears that Christmas has come a little bit late for me this year. Seeing Texas and the Dallas Cowboys get beat down in their respective season finales brings joy to my heart. I've also received several care packages from home with lots of American products and goods that I haven't been able to get my hands on since I left the states.

Welcome to 2010 friends. 18 days of this year have already raced by fast enough to make my head spin. As usual I have to apologize for the ridiculous delay in postings. I could write a paragraph of excuses, but I won't bother this time around. I am sorry that as soon as I started to build momentum and gather a handful of faithful readers, I dropped off the face of the earth. But I am back now, in full force. I have a permanent residence, a solid internet connection and lots to write about.

Over the past month I have transitioned from a backpacker's lifestyle to a resident's lifestyle. Shortly before Christmas I moved into a nice little 3 bedroom house on Wakatipu Heights. (My address is 14A Wakatipu Heights, Queenstown, 9300, New Zealand if you want to google earth me) I am still within walking distance of the Town Centre, but its a longer walk than when I was living on Hay Street. Basically it takes about 15 minutes for me to walk to work, and about 20 to walk home as I've got a nice little climb to get up to our place.

My roommates are quite interesting. Mark occupies the upstairs master bedroom and bath. He works a professional job during the week from 9 to 5, and spends every other second he can flying threw the sky on a hang glider. This adventure sport fascinates and I nag him with questions about piloting. It is quite the thrill seeker's activity. A few days before Christmas, one of his buddies had a hang gliding accident and broke both his legs and fractured his hip in several places. I've moved it to the bottom of my ever growing list New Zealand to do list. The kitchen and living room are also in the upstairs part of the house as well as two balconies. One of them overlooks the lake and has quite a scenic view of the mountains.

There are two bedrooms downstairs, one belonging to me and the other to my second roommate, Melissa. Melissa is in the process of the opening a cake decorating business in Queenstown. She is a native kiwi and is very well traveled, having most recently spent 5 years in London. She is in the process of opening a cake decorating business in Queenstown. This makes me the lucky recipient of the lots of cupcakes and various other baking goods. Melissa's family was kind enough to invite me over on Christmas day, so I did miss having a proper Christmas feast.

My eyelids are starting to lose their strength, so I think I'll bring this posting to a close. I'll be back soon with much more.

Short Circuits

  • Popping your shit collar is the easiest and quickest way to looking like a sure fire douche bag.

1 comment:

Jay Ducote said...

Good stuff Robert. Glad you're getting settled in. And I'm even more glad you'll be posting more again!